Friday, May 24, 2013

Back home and it sucks!

May 24, 2013

I have been home from Costa Rica for 3 days now, and I miss it so much already!  Getting back into the "reality routine" really sucks.  It's especially hard coming from such a beautiful place know as the "happiest place in the world."  I loved not having any worries while I was in Costa Rica!

The best part of the trip was definitely the last three days that we stayed in the all-inclusive resort.  Kelly (my roommate) and I met a friend the first day we were there, Susan.  She worked at the resort and performed at the shows that were held each night.  It was nice having someone who knew the area and was kind enough to show us around.

During one of the three days that we stayed in the resort, we took a day trip to do an all day excursion, which was, for the most part, pretty fun.  The excursion consisted of white water tubing (which was much more easygoing than the white water rafting we did a few days before), ziplining, horseback riding, and swimming in a waterfall.  Ziplining was by far the best event of the day.  At times, it was a little scary, like when we had to "Tarzan swing" from one side of the cliff to the other, but the scenery was just so awesome that it made up for everything.  The only thing I didn't like about the excursion was the horseback riding.  The way those people take care of their horses was just pathetic.  Or, should I say, they DON'T take care of their horses.  You could tell my horse was in so much pain.  I just wanted to walk it back to where we needed to go instead of riding it, but there was no way I would have made it uphill on the trail.  It really just made me so sad that I stopped having fun and lost all repect for those people.  That was one aspect of Costa Rica that made me appreciate living in the U.S.

Besides that, there was so much to love about Costa Rica, but if I had to pick my favorite thing about it, it would be a toss up between the people of the country and the fruit. 

The people were just so kind in every way.  I never felt like my presence or lack of understanding of their language was ever a problem.  That is one thing I notice about not only Costa Rica, but other countries as well.  In the U.S., we expect people to come here knowing English, and if they don't, well, there are kind of out of luck.  We aren't very accomadating to people coming from foriegn countries; whereas, most other countries go out of their way to make sure tourists and any other travelers from different areas of the world feel welcome.  I guess the U.S. is just "snobby."

The fruit in Costa Rica was just AMAZING!  I wish we had fruit that delicious in the states, but because we have most of our fuit imported from other countries, it loses its quality.  When I tell you that I really don't like pineapple, I mean it.  I think it is so gross, that is, in the states.  In Costa Rica, I had pineapple with almost every meal, that is how good it was.  And the watermelon was awesome too!  I usually put salt on my watermelon to give it more flavor, but over there it is so sweet, you just don't need anything with it.  I would actually pass up desserts like cake and stuff and eat watermelon instead!  If we had such good fruit in the U.S., it would probably be much easier to lose weight!

I already miss it and just want to go back.  Hopefully, someday soon, I will be able to go back!  It definitely doesn't hurt that I have my friend Susan over there!

1 comment: