Sunday, May 12, 2013

Day 2

May 12, 2013

White water rafting was amazing today! It was my first time rafting, and it definitely exceeded my expectations. Our boat was the only boat to have people fall off, and luckily, I wasn't one of them! On our break during the rafting experience, we had pineapple. I don't even like pineapple in the U.S.,but the pineapple here is completely different. It was so fresh, and I loved it! While we had our break, we also got to walk to a "cliff" type area where we got to jump off into the current of the water.  That was definitely an adrenaline rush!

After white water rafting, we went on a chocolate tour. We were able to see how chocolate is made here in Costa Rica. I learned that the cocoa seed used to make chocolate is grown from a plant. The plant actually looks like a fruit. I was the volunteer to help open the plant, which was opened similar to cracking an egg. (At first, the tour guide made me believe that I had to put my head on a stand that looked like a tree trunk, and he was going to crack it on my head. Of course, I believed him...I was scared to death) They showed us the process of making chocolate and let us taste it in several different forms: from the actual seed, in a powder form, as a thick liquid (like syrup), and as a drink which they called the "drink of the Gods") The cocoa was very bitter until sugar or cinnamon or both was added. Once those ingredients were added, it was amazing! It was nothing like the chocolate sold in the stores in the U.S., this cocoa was actually healthy for you and contained several vitamins.

In order to reach the destination of the chocolate plantation, we had to take a trail that took approximately 30 minutes to get through, which included crossing over a suspension bridge that led directly over the river we had just rafted through. The trail had lots of greenery to look at; we even saw a few monkeys! As well as cool insects and birds.

After our adventurous journeys of the day, we had a presentation from our tour guide. The tour guide explained the importance of ecotourism in the country. In order for the country of Costa Rica to keep their beautiful parks, they have to provide themselves with a source of revenue. The park we visited today, Tirimbina, is a nonprofit organization that raises money solely for the preservation of the forests and wildlife of their park. They do this by funding education and research on the topic of conservation. Their revenue mainly comes from tourists, like ourselves.  So, they were very appreciative of our business.

My first full day in Costa Rica was so much fun, and I can't wait to see what else this beautiful place has in store for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment